Request to Planning Commission:
Study Growth Before Approving Comprehensive Plan
Keep Calvert Country is asking citizens of Calvert County to join us in petitioning the Planning Commission to perform detailed studies of the growth proposed in the Comprehensive Plan before approving it.
Our request is for the following reasons:
State Law requires that:
"A Planning Commission shall prepare a Comprehensive Plan by carefully and comprehensively surveying and studying the present conditions and projections of future growth of the local jurisdiction."
While the current draft of the Comprehensive Plan includes information about "present conditions", it lacks evidence that "projections of future growth" have been "carefully and comprehensively studied".
To comply with State law and to ensure continued quality of life for citizens, the Planning Commission must study the effects of growth on traffic, schools, the environment, budget, etc. before any growth is proposed.
Without mention of any studies, the current draft of the 2040 Comprehensive Plan proposes extensive growth by:
1. eliminating the “build-out” provisions of the current Plan, which limits total number of households to approx. 37,000; and
2. expanding the size of Town Centers as shown below:
3. increasing the size of Residential Areas surrounding the Dunkirk, Lusby and Solomons Town Centers as shown below:
5. allowing water and sewer in Residential Areas in order to achieve higher densities and additional growth; and
6. making Dunkirk a Major Town Center, which translates higher density residential and more intensive commercial growth aimed at serving the region rather than serving local needs.
To comply with State law, the Planning Commission should suspend review of the draft Plan until proper studies have been conducted and the results have been presented to the Planning Commission and the public, with adequate time for review, questions, and comments.
If studies have in fact been conducted, the results should be included in the Plan. We are asking that the results be shared with the public and the Planning Commission in a public presentation, with adequate time for review, questions, and comments.
Sign The Petition Below
This Petition will be automatically emailed to Carolyn Sunderland, Planning Commission Administrator, who will forward it to the Planning Commission members.